Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Two Queens Councillors Announce Mayoral Intentions

Mervin Hartlen
Two Queens councillors have announced their intentions to replace mayor John Leefe. Mervin Hartlen started on council in 1980 until 1987. He then returned in 2000 after spending time on the school board. Hartlen says he's the right fit for mayor based on his experience.
"I've lived and worked in Queens County for the last 63 years and I think I know the people from my old profession on Nova Scotia Land Surveyor and I know what they want and I know the problems we're going through right now with seniors housing and Bowater and numerous other things and I think I can help solve some of those problems."
Hartlen says he decided to run for mayor once Leefe announced his intention to step down. Owen Hamlin is the other councillor seeking the mayor's seat. Municipal elections will be held October 20.