Wednesday, November 30, 2011

SSRSB introduces new, one-person Board


Judy Sullivan-Corney
The new person in control of the South Shore Regional School board visited the area Tuesday afternoon. Judy Sullivan-Corney was introduced to school board staff and met with local media. She says taking over the board will be a challenge, but she's ready to make an impact right away.
"My interest is making sure that we are open and transparent and that I hear the needs of students and teachers and families in the communities, so, I will have open meetings. There are certain things that have to be discussed in-camera but otherwise meetings will be open."
Sullivan-Corney says she looks forward to building trust with the public.

"I do think the public are interested in stabilty, I think they are interested in making sure that students get a good education, so, I would see if I can get back on track with those priorities then I'm hoping the public will regain its confidence in the board."
Sullivan-Corney is a former teacher and has worked in aboriginal negotiations and labour relations and retired from public service October 1st. She came out of retirement to take over the board's responsibilities. Twelve board members were fired following an independent report by Deloitte into the governance practices of the elected members.